As the weather warms up, it’s important to make sure your little one is comfortable both in and out of the nursery. Combining a good night’s sleep with a little preparation before family outings will help you avoid a few tears and ensure that your summer is packed with smiles!
Here are our top nine tips for you to avoid summer meltdowns:
Keeping the Nursery Cool
By creating a cool, cozy sleeping environment, you’ll help ensure that your little one is well rested for all of your summer adventures (bonus: this can also help you get a few extra hours of snooze time as well!).
- Choose a crib mattress with cooling technology or more natural, breathable materials to avoid a hot sleep surface.
- Look for crib mattress pads and crib sheets that feature moisture wicking fibers that absorb and evaporate excess moisture to help provide a cool, dry sleep-surface.
- Lightweight, loose-fitting jammies in breathable materials such as cotton or other natural fibers can help keep babies and toddlers cooler.
- If possible, avoid positioning baby’s bassinet or crib in direct sunlight and keep the curtains drawn on sunny days so that the nursery doesn’t heat up during the day. An extra safe sleep tip: if baby’s crib is near a window, be sure that there are no accessible cords or strings in which he/she could become entangled.
- Keep your little one’s room between 65-72 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal safety & comfort.
Keeping Everyone’s Cool
Maximize your family fun by being cool, calm, and prepared while you’re out and about with your baby or toddler!
- Try to stick to regular bedtimes and nap times. During the summer, it can be easy to get off-schedule with so many fun things to do, but growing toddlers and babies depend on regular sleep and routines. Note: no need to fret if you get off-schedule once in a while. This is bound to happen during trips and family gatherings, but doing your best to make sure your tot is well-rested will make all summer adventures more enjoyable for everyone!
- Bring snacks (for both you and your little ones). A universal truth for all humans, regardless of age, is that no one is at their best when they’re hungry. Be sure to include a few healthy treats in your diaper bag or purse for everyone in the family.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Make sure you have water on-hand (this is doubly important if you’re breastfeeding).
- Don’t forget the sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats! Yes, it can be a hassle to cover your squirming toddler or crying baby in sunscreen, but both they and you will be happy you endured when no one is covered in uncomfortable sunburn at the end of the day.
There are going to be a few meltdowns, but do your best not to sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the weather and time together!